The two figures are independent work for my surfaces class. They haven't been bisque fired yet and have a lot of surface work to come.
This figure is about hope for a woman who is my best friend's mother and my second mom. She was diagnosed with cancer, and it made me think about how shocking it is for such a dangerous thing to be growing inside a body without anyone's noticing.
Two views of the same figure. She's about growing up in a conservative environment where talking sexuality is relatively taboo. Education is minimal and people don't talk about it. So there was a lot for a curious person to discover and try to make sense of on her own. The general sense is that you keep your legs closed and don't talk about it.
In the first body of work I took name brand products and reproduced the bottles over-sized and in porcelain. Consumers buy name brand products as status symbols. Porcelain is traditionally a luxurious material, so I made the products in the scale of and they will be decorated after Victorian porcelain pitchers.
With this second body of objects, I stepped farther from the form of the actual objects in favor of more voluptuous and suggestive forms.
There are photos coming of the first body of porcelain objects.
And please forgive the formatting on this blog. I'm just not much for computers, and the autoformatting has me beat. haha.

3 comments:
I love all of your work. Your inspiration amazes me every time. No matter how long I've known you.. you will never cease to amaze me. I love the one about my mom.
I never would have survived all of this without your support.
Hey, when you're home and you've got some time let me help you with the formatting. I've turned into a ginormous internet nerd over the past few months and I should at least be able to help you tweak your blog so that it does a little more of what you want it to do.
Plus, it'll make me feel useful.
I love you.
kourtney all of this is truly amazing. I love the write-ups, too!
Post a Comment