Thursday, May 14, 2009

Something New, Something Blue

You Brought It on Yourself, Stoneware, mason stain, wax, yarn, approximately 8 inches


Untitled (Sartre abstract), Stoneware, glaze, approximately 8 inches


What Made You So Sick?, Stoneware, glaze, mason stain, wax, crochet thread, approximately 6 inches


Diversity at MICA, Stoneware, mason stain, wax, artificial sinew, approximately 8 inches


Nuff, Stoneware, mason stain, wax, yarn, approximately 8 inches


My First Anxiety Attack, Stoneware, glaze, wax, yarn, approximately 6 inches


These little objects are a whole lot of new for me. New scale, new materials, new techniques, new surfaces, new concepts. They are all made from slip-cast vessels, which I obviously altered. I specifically experimented with wax on the surfaces and fibers. The only thing that stayed the same is my ultimate connection to the body and gesture. If you refer to my previous post about Kathy Butterly, you'll recall my discontent with the products from the first half of the semester. These were my attempt to branch out and jump start my artist's block. Some of it was successful, some of it wasn't. Overall, I'm glad I did them. I don't know where they are headed, or if they even will get past this, but it is what it is, and I learned a lot. That's the point of all this, right?

1 comment:

Alex Gracey said...

These turned out awesome. I have been waiting to see the final product for a while now. Diversity at MICA is def one of my favorites.