Here are my first four paintings:
Monday, June 4, 2012
That One Mark
I've been looking and longingly admiring watercolor paintings. Some of my favorite illustrations are watercolor, and then so are some of my favorite paintings. Enter John Singer Sargent. These artists who nail "It" with one brush stroke or one thumb swipe leave me speechless, in awe. Another one of my favorites is Beth Cavener Stichter. Or this print Jonas and I bought by Jean-Jaques Henner. It's an amazing thing, that one mark- that one perfectly placed, perfectly made mark. Anyway this whole interest in watercolor was sparked by Sargent. I have played with watercolors in the past and in my sketchbook, but I never had a formal lesson in it. So I asked fellow artist-educator Mary Ellen Carsley who teaches drawing and painting at Severn, and she graciously agreed to coach me in watercoloring.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment